Frustration with F10/KDE

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Sat May 23 12:20:11 UTC 2009

On Friday 22 May 2009 21:04:38 Robin Laing wrote:
> Todd Denniston wrote:
> >>
> >> Plasma of course.
> >>
> >> I already filed a bug with a complete stack-trace.
> >> Like I did with all the other crashes I've reported with a full
> >> stack-trace, which haven't been looked at. (Except for the first-level
> >> guys sorting dups out).
> >>
> >> - Clemens
> >
> > and it is bugzilla # what, so that we all know WHICH of the stack traces
> > are relevant to this thread?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> I would like to see the number(s) as well because I have full
> crashes/freezes with F10 and KDE but nothing to go on.  No logs or
> messages of any type.

Most of these problems are caused by graphics card drivers.  KDE 4 stresses
parts of the drivers previously unused.  All the major three providers are
working on the problems.  As a workaround you sometimes have to turn off all
desktop effects,  In other cases editing xorg.conf helps.  It's worth reading
http://userbase.kde.org/GPU-Performance for some tips.

For a greater understanding of what's happening in the driver world, read this
article about Intel drivers:
http://keithp.com/blogs/Sharpening_the_Intel_Driver_Focus/

Anne