Broken video DVDs (no executable bits on *_TS folders)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun May 24 06:28:18 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 08:45:36PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
>> some home made DVDs by some software is creating *_TS folders with
>> 0400 permissions. This means that only root can really change into
>> these folders.
>>
>> Is there a way to tell Fedora to always paste executional bits onto
>> video DVDs?
>>
>> I'm trying to convert some people to use Fedora for their home systems
>> and when they find out that Fedora will ignore their home made DVDs
>> they don't really care that their Wincrap software generated a bad DVD
>> ("after all it runs on the DVD player").
>>
>> So while Fedora is actually doing The Right Thing, it is hindering its
>> own acceptance. :(
>>
> I can't imagine any change which would make that work and still be
> remotely functional behavior. Turning off permissions checking on
> directories isn't going to happen.

Turns out that this just happened in 2.6.30 :)

There are mode and dmode parameters that devicekit sets to full
permissions.

> The DVDs are broken, tell your friends their software is crap. And that
> the media will not play in certain Blu-Ray players which check properly.
> That might make a better connection.

There are just too many broken DVDs out there to be The Right One. And
while digging into it I found out that not only home-made, but many
commercial DVDs are broken as well.

I wish the 2.6.30 mode/dmode patch makes it into F11.

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 07:11:23PM -0700, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> How are you mounting your DVDs? Is it auto-mounted by HAL?

Yes.

> I sometimes use Windowmaker as my desktop and it doesn't automount
> any external storage device. Then I have to mount it by hand. I use
> the following to do that successfully.
>
> $ sudo mount -o uid=regular-user -o gid=group-of-user [other
> options]

The problem is that there was no option for altering the
permissions. In the near furture you will be able to do
-o mode=xxx,dmode=yyy as well.

> I think similar other options for -o allow you to mount with the
> executable bit set. The DVDs might work if you mounted it like this.

True, but you need the kernel to understand dmode and mode. Looks like
it's going to be >= 2.6.30 unless it is backported to the Fedora kernels.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net