Re: Can't boot after an update

Sorry all, hit "send" too quick & forgot to change the subject line (again!) Mea maxima culpa. Dave

Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 00:39:34 -0700
From: "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
	<wolfgang rupprecht+gnus200905 gmail com>
Subject: Re: Can't boot after an update
To: fedora-list redhat com

DB <Freddog_de yahoo co uk> writes:
I'm now trying to find a script that will clean /tmp automatically on
a regular basis. (I think part of the backlog is due to the switch
from Gnome to KDE)

I clean my /tmp on each orderly shutdown.  That way if the system
crashes, my /tmp is preserved but when I do a reboot, it gets cleaned.
Put this in /sbin/halt.local.

/sbin/halt.local:

#!/bin/sh
# wsrcc halt script

echo "WSRCC: Clearing /tmp"

cd /
/bin/rm -rf /tmp/* /tmp/.??*
sync; sync; sync;

#
# end
#

I used to use an age based clearing method, but that tended to remove
things I was still using if the system stayed up too long and it didn't
clear things quickly enough such as cases where something significant
changed and caused a name clash in /tmp.  (Try changing UID's around
sometime and forget about the files in /tmp.  Things won't be sane until
all those files get nuked.)

-wolfgang
Thanks Wolfgang, I'll give it a whirl!

Dave