live boot networking question

I have a fedora live USB stick that I want to be able to boot in
a co-worker's laptop so they can run a Linux app on their
Windows system.  The app talks to an embedded device
through wired ethernet, so I need to set a static IP address
of the wired ethernet device.  Is there a way to do this since
the wired hardware device will be different on different computers?
On one co-worker's system, wired ethernet came up as eth0.
On another, it came up as eth2.  We don't have a DHCP server
in the embedded device, so I have to assign a static address.

Thanks,

            David