What /dev is ethernet Webcam

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed May 27 01:00:45 UTC 2009

Jim wrote:
> On 05/26/2009 02:19 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> Jim wrote:
>>> FC10
>>>
>>> I have a Linksys Wireless-G PTZ WVC210 Ip/ethernet/wireless 802.1
>>> webcam.
>>> it displays video fine in Firefox at 172.16.1.36, how do I find out
>>> what /dev it is running on ?
>>
>> The fact it's called an "IP/Ethernet/Wireless webcam" should give you
>> an indication.  It's a website--not a device--as far as your system is
>> concerned.
>>
>> Only devices which plug into your motherboard directly using something
>> other than the network interface (e.g. PCI bus, USB, Firewire, etc.)
>> show up under /dev.
>>
> Then if there connected as a network, and their not a device.
> How would I be able to tell if Zoneminder or VLC can connect to them, or
> is connected to them ?

I'm not 100% certain I understand what you're asking.  If English is
your second language, forgive me.  If not, you really need to brush up
on basic grammar. ;-)

Zoneminder is capable of talking to a network-based webcam (which is
what your device is).  I quote from their website:

"It is designed to run on distributions which support the Video For
Linux (V4L) interface and has been tested with video cameras attached to
BTTV cards, various USB cameras and IP network cameras."

VLC should be able to deal with it as well as 99% of all IP cameras
support HTTP and FTP protocols, and some can do streaming as well.  If
you're going to use it for either Zoneminder or VLC and your IP camera
supports a compatible streaming protocol, I'd use that method.
-                 IGNORE that man behind the keyboard!               -
-                                                - The Wizard of OS  -