Streaming media server

I currently play my music (which is stored in a file system on a server on my home network) by mounting the filesystem via nfs and playing the files in amarok. However if any disruption to the wireless network occurs, I lose the mount and, as you know, its hell to recover an nfs mount if the network has failed. What I'd like to have is something like a shoutcast server that would serve up my collection over a network connection or somesuch. I installed icecast but it doesn't seem appropriate for playing disk based music collections.. meybe I'm wrong about that.
Any suggestions?
wcn