pulseaudio capability question

In the quest to find something useful pulseaudio can do for me,
I'm wondering if it can do more than just volume when it is mixing
several audio sources?

I would love to learn I can insert an output filter to use
ffmpeg to do on the fly conversion of all my audio to something
that can be sent to the SP/DIF optical output on my motherboard.

Then, while it is at it, accept already encoded audio streams
from a DVD I'm playing and bypass the ffmpeg layer for them.

Now that would be useful.