Re: OT: Can Reformatting A Hard Drive To ext3 Destroy All the Data On It?

Robert L Cochran writes:

I have a hard drive that I need to destroy the data on. What is the most dependable way to do this? Can reformatting the drive as ext3 or ext4 or some other filesystem effectively destroy the existing data?

Is there free software that can write zeroes or some form of nonsense to every storage location?

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/youbettergetthisright bs=1M