I'd like to get rid of pulseaudio but ...

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Fri May 29 16:23:14 UTC 2009

On Fri, 29 May 2009 11:03:44 -0400
Gene Heskett wrote:

> And since kde4, we no longer have the
> name of the executable listed in the menu's, there seems to be no way to try
> such stuff from a cli to see what error falls out when it doesn't run.

One bit of arcana worth knowing for just this situation is that all the
menu items correspond to .desktop files in the /usr/share/applications/
directory. A grep -r in there will often dig up useful info, then once
you find the .desktop file, the "Exec" line in it gives the actual command
that is executed by the menu item.

No doubt it should be easier to discover this stuff, but I find digging
through the applications directory is often the best way to discover
info I need :-).