I'd like to get rid of pulseaudio but ...

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri May 29 17:25:43 UTC 2009

On Friday 29 May 2009, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> And that IIRC, was one of the things in my kmenu that never ran, ever.
>
>Then PulseAudio is not working. (pavucontrol at least used to just segfault
>if PA was not running or not accepting connections because it didn't find a
>working hardware device.)
>
>> And since kde4, we no longer have the name of the executable listed in the
>> menu's, there seems to be no way to try such stuff from a cli to see what
>> error falls out when it doesn't run.
>
>The pavucontrol name doesn't show up because the .desktop file doesn't
>contain it. (It only has a Name field containing a generic name and no
>GenericName field.) Complain to the pavucontrol maintainer(s) about that.
>Where the names are contained in the .desktop file (i.e. for most KDE
>apps), Kickoff will show them if you mouse over that item. Alternatively,
>you can use the classic menu, which can be configured to show any
>combination of Name and GenericName.
>
>> What do I have to re-install to make these utils such as what you name
>> above, actually work?
>
>yum install kde-settings-pulseaudio
>should drag in all you need. (You need at least pulseaudio and
>alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.)
>
>        Kevin Kofler
That pulled in:
  Installing     : pulseaudio
1/4
  Installing     : alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
2/4
  Installing     : pulseaudio-module-x11
3/4
  Installing     : kde-settings-pulseaudio

Now what do I service ??? restart to bring it up?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

The only difference in the game of love over the last few thousand years
is that they've changed trumps from clubs to diamonds.
		-- The Indianapolis Star