Re: OT: Can Reformatting A Hard Drive To ext3 Destroy All the Data On It?

On 05/29/2009 05:44 PM, Alan Cox wrote:
'shred' is part of coreutils (i.e. installed by default).
Doing something like

shred /dev/sdX

as root will write various bit patterns 25 times over the entire drive
(see the man page for more options).

Whoopeeedoo. Thats still not the correct way to erase a disk.

Use security erase, that is why it is there.

Thanks very much to all who responded! I'm going to use Alan's suggestion first of all and if necessary a mixture of everyone else's. For good measure maybe I'll dump a pound or so of salt in a gallon of nice hot water and drop the hard drive in and wait for signs of rust to appear. Ha ha!

Thanks again!

Bob