OT: Can Reformatting A Hard Drive To ext3 Destroy All the Data On It?

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Sat May 30 04:04:54 UTC 2009

Robert L Cochran wrote:

> I think the idea of dropping a hard drive in brine is funny. Hence the
> ha ha!

ok. be aware that you would have to open cover to allow good saturation of
inner contents. many drives are sealed in such a way that there is little
to no venting. this is to keep moisture out and prevent rust, oxidation
or other corroding of inner surfaces. some have pressure compensation.

> That's another interesting suggestion. Very imaginative too!

it works. but be sure that you do not inhale fumes. iron oxide particles
are not good for lungs.

all in all, it is one of easiest ways insuring that all data is destroyed.

passing a large strong magnet over surfaces is second easiest.

i have used ceramic magnets from speakers. 2 of same size on opposite sides
of disk with poles attracting is very effective. just put something on
surfaces to allow movement of disk.

--

peace out.

tc,hago.

.

****
**
help microsoft stamp out piracy - give linux to a friend today
**
to mess up a linux box, you need to work at it;
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****