Re: I'd like to get rid of pulseaudio but ...

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 6:36 AM, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux gmail com> wrote:
2009/5/30 Tim <ignored_mailbox yahoo com au>:
> On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 01:29 -0700, suvayu ali wrote:
>> Most of the modern Intel HDA cards _are_ capable of mixing streams. I
>> have owned one such card since 2007. Also most of the hi-end boards
>> today support multiple streams. However I am not sure whether
>> pulseaudio can stream two different streams to these sound cards and
>> let it playback in two different devices. A very common situation
>> would be something like a skype call on a headphone without
>> interrupting music playback on external speakers.
> You could only do that if you have two *separate* *output* hardware
> circuits.  Lots of cards only have one output system.  They might give
> you separate volume controls for speakers or headphones, but both
> control the same thing (one output source), they just switch between
> which control to use depending on whether you've plugged a headphone, in
> or not.  Which makes more sense than at first seems.
> e.g. My laptop has silly little speakers that always need full volume,
> my headphones work normally.  It's handy to set the level for each
> appropriately, and not have to move the volume up and down between them,
> just because I've plugged a lead in.

I first used this on an Intel 975XBX2 workstation board I bought in
2007. It _is_ capable of multi-streaming, I could set up my drivers to
present to the apps as two different output devices. So I had skype
configured to use the front jacks and I used the rear jacks to stream
to the line-in of my home entertainment system.

How did you do that? I am using the same card right now and I did not know it was able of doing that. I know it has three different circuits for input, but you are saying
it can do the same for output...

Paulo Roma Cavalcanti