EeePC - Fedora or Ubuntu?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat May 30 16:38:10 UTC 2009

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> The OP asked about EeePC - Fedora or Ubuntu.
>
> My answer to this question would be: If you simply want to use your
> netbook, you're likely better off using the OS the HW vendor supplies.

In my (fairly limited) experience, Xandros is not a good distribution.
It does not seem to have a working repository system,
so installing software (or upgrading) is not a simple process.

I actually started by installing eeebuntu ,
as I was attracted by the idea that it was specifically tailored
for the EeePC.
But I was slightly disappointed by this,
perhaps because I am not very familiar with Ubuntu.

In any case, I decided to try Fedora-10,
and found that much more to my liking.
It actually worked better on my EeePC-4G,
eg WiFi (to my surprise) worked out of the box,
while eeebuntu seemed to require madwifi .

The one thing I learned from eeebuntu
was that Unetbootin is much better than livecd-iso-to-disk ,
which for some reason did not work on my USB stick.

Also (very specific to the EeePC),
ignore advice to go into the BIOS;
just press Esc when re-booting
and you will be asked which device you want to boot from.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net