Re: I'd like to get rid of pulseaudio but ... (Gene Heskett)

Once upon a time, Kevin Kofler <kevin kofler chello at> said:
> Most likely it's just a self-signed SSL certificate. Very common, and
> Firefox stupidly throws a fit over it (which is dumb because it encourages
> sites to just use unencrypted HTTP instead, which is even less secure, yet
> gets through with no warning). Just OK the certificate.

HTTPS with an unknown self-signed cert is barely any more secure than
unencrypted HTTP, since a man-in-the-middle attack could just be
replacing the cert and decrypting all communications.

However, the reason to "throw a fit" is that end-users have been trained
that "HTTPS == secure".  They know that HTTP is not secure, but they
don't know the details of how SSL/TLS work to know that "HTTPS with
unknown cert != secure".
--
Chris Adams <cmadams hiwaay net>