"shutdown now" on F11 as root problems and app crashes in

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Mon Nov 2 18:19:37 UTC 2009

KC8LDO wrote:
> Bob;
>
> I did go back and read it, should have done that first. I did read that
> one of the options the action taken is system dependent, the "-h"
> option.  That makes things more interesting.
>
> I'm sitting here at work, eating lunch, reading the man page, again, for
> the shutdown command using a remote VNC session to my F10 box at home. I
> don't see anything that mentions any sort of default action if you fail
> to supply one of the options to the shutdown command. All it says in
> general at the end of the man page is :
>
> "When invoked it generates a runlevel event, with an argument containing
> the new runlevel."
>
> I'll have to look specifically at the one, man page, on the F11 box
> later when I get home. Your comment suggests they are not the same.
>
> One last comment. If I was not by the local attached console and saw
> what happened, but was working remotely when I issued the "shutdown now"
> command, having the system drop down to a CLI interface, single user
> mode, with the root prompt showing isn't very comforting. Also my remote
> VNC session terminated too. Not my idea of a way to lose control of the
> box and give somebody else the chance to have some fun at the "free"
> root prompt either. Lucky for me this box is on my home network where
> I'm the only one with physical access.

"shutdown --help" on both F10 and F11 result in this data:

"<snip>
The system is brought down into maintenance (single-user) mode by
default, you can change this with either the -r or -h option which
specify a reboot or system halt respectively.  The -h option can be
further modified with -H or -P to specify whether to halt the system, or
to power it off afterwards.  The default is left up to the shutdown
scripts.
</snip>"

So it goes to run level 1 or "s" by default.