Samba with Windows XP client

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Nov 4 11:20:49 UTC 2009

Tim wrote:

>> Doesn't the fact that I can browse through a folder on the Windows
>> machine show that I have full rights on the folder?
>
> It only requires partial rights to just be able to read a folder, more
> rights are involved if you're allowed to write to a folder.  So, no.

OK.
But I don't actually want to write on the Windows machine,
unless that is required somehow by Samba.
As I mentioned, my only reason for setting up Samba
is to backup the Windows machine on my Linux server.

Incidentally, I notice that both folders in question
(one of which I can browse with Samba, and the other not)
have "Read-only" checked, and I am apparently unable to uncheck this.
If I do so, then when I leave the folder, and re-enter,
I see that Read-only is checked again.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net