Fedora 11 x86_64, ATI HD4870, and RPM Fusion's Catalyst Drivers...

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 20:06:58 UTC 2009

2009/11/6 Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to>:
> On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 14:57:38 -0800,
>  suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I think although on paper 4850 and 4870s are the same, they behave
>> very differently. I used the radeon drivers until a few weeks back,
>> about the time when quakelive received support on linux. I was never
>> able to turn on desktop effects successfully, either with radeon or
>> radeonhd. It was the same even for the F12 LiveCD for the Radeon test
>> day.[1] The penultimate entry is mine. But I have to admit things have
>> improved by leaps and bounds over the last few months, and I am
>> waiting for the day when I can switch to open source drivers.
>
> A number of bugs were fixed about two weeks ago. You might want to try again.
> Also you'll probably want to install mesa-dri-drivers-experimental to get
> 3d acceleration and kernel mode setting for your card.
>
> If you have still have probelms filing bugs will help.

The next month I am in the middle of something very critical, so can't
really play around, I need my system to stay up and running. I am even
holding off the F12 upgrade for this. Would testing with the F12
LiveCD and giving feedback based on that help? I could easily do that
without disturbing my current setup.

--
Suvayu