Why can't I ugrade Fedora like Centos?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Nov 7 15:41:05 UTC 2009

> On Sat, 2009-11-07 at 09:22 -0500, John Aldrich wrote:
>> On Saturday 07 November 2009, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>>> I upgraded from CentOS-5.3 to CentOS-5.4
>>> (and earlier from CentOS-5.2 to CentOS-5.3)
>>> just by running "yum update".
>>>
>>> Why can't I upgrade to Fedora-12 like that?
>>> Is it just that the CentOS makers are cleverer...?
>>>
>> Actually, that's exactly how I upgraded to F11 from F10. Fedora noticed
>> that there was an updated version of Fedora available and asked if I wanted
>> to upgrade. I said sure, so it downloaded all the RPMs and upgraded me.
>
> Presumably you're talking about the Package Manager. yum on its own
> isn't going to ask you if you want to upgrade Fedora.

Here it how this works:

When there is a new release of Fedora, GNOME PackageKit or specifically
gpk-update-icon which is the update notifier prompts you to upgrade with
a notification on your desktop

http://packagekit.org/img/gpk-distro-upgrade-notify.png

If you agree, in Fedora, it will call preupgrade to perform the actual
upgrade.  This works starting from Fedora 10 onwards.

Rahul