anyone install android 2.0 sdk on 64-bit fedora?

Wendell Nichols wcn00 at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 9 17:20:51 UTC 2009

Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> On 10/27/2009 01:52 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>    given the first release of android 2.0, has anyone out there
>> successfully installed that on a 64-bit fedora?  specifically, fedora
>> 11 or (hopefully equivalently) fedora 12 beta.
>>

> I have the emulator running. I have not compiled any applications yet
> though.
>
> Fedora 11 x86_64 machine. I do not have Sun Java installed.

There is another thread about the best choice of architectures to
install 32 or 64 bit and this note applies to that as well.
For the last year I ran 64  bit fedora 10 on my think pad T61p  I had no
problems with any of the 64 bit software and I did not notice any
difference in performance between 32 and 64 bit versions (though you
would expect that 32 bit versions would be a little easier on memory).
My machine has only 4G of ram, so no real need of 64 bit os.
The problems I had running 64 bit linux:

   1. Java plugin is 32 bit so I had to run 32  bit versions of firefox
   2. Juniper vpn is 32 bit also
   3. Webex plugin is 32 bit
   4. Lots of other plugins for firefox are 32 bit
   5. The android sdk is 32 bit so I had to run 32 bit java and eclipse
   6. skype is 32 bit (but because there are no other product
      dependencies this never caused me any problems)

Having firefox and eclipse and Sun's jdk installed as 32 bit and the
rest of the system running 64 bit caused me no end of hassles with
package dependencies, upgrades etc.  Fedora's repositories are just not
well enough tested in this area to work reliably using a combination of
architectures.  Also most of the java apps have dependencies on IcedTea,
which won't run sophisticated apps like eclipse and java plugins reliably.
So I installed completely separate copies of firefox, java and eclipse
just to avoid all the packaging problems.  I ran them out of
/local/opt_x86.  That works but now you have to manage the versions of
all these things yourself and research the reliability of each update.
In the end, I reinstalled my laptop with 32 bit fedora 10 which I am (so
far) running without incident except that sound stops working with every
second kernel update :(
Well thats my rant... any my final word:  Unless you have more than 4 g
of mem I'd stick to 32 bit versions of linux.
wcn