unexpected logout

Bob McConnell rmcconne at lightlink.com
Fri Nov 13 12:25:29 UTC 2009

Dj YB wrote:
> On Friday November 13 2009 02:44:54 suvayu ali wrote:

>>> The other option I forgot to mention is to download the bootable CD
>>> image from http://www.memtest86.com/ and boot from the CD that you burn.
>> ... or just boot with a Fedora CD or DVD and select memtest in in the
>> boot options menu. :)
>>
> thanks
> but how much time should I wait?
> could there be another explanation?
> I will run this test now and get back to you after it is done
> cheers
> YB.

How frequently was the error occurring? I would wait at least twice that
long if memtest doesn't report any errors. The computer will be off line
for that period. That's why I just replace the memory cards. I can put
the computer is back in service. If the error returns after that, I am
no worse off than before, but then I can decide whether to replace the
box or take the time to do further troubleshooting.

Make sure you run the test under the same conditions as the computer
normally operates, covers on, in the rack, etc. Memory is very sensitive
to a number of environmental and functional variations, including
temperature, write/read sequencing and even address sequences. Testing
it on the bench with the covers off will change those conditions
significantly.

Many years ago there were articles published about how to create schmoo
test patterns to detect errors that only occurred with specific
densities of '1' bits in sections of the die. Each test was specific to
one particular memory chip. Now that the manufacturing processes have
matured, I believe that class of tests is only used in production prior
to cutting the chips the from the wafer. However, memtest probably
includes some of those tests.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP