screensaver

Beartooth Beartooth at comcast.net
Sat Nov 14 18:33:58 UTC 2009

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 20:19:51 +0000, Patrick Dupre wrote:
	[....]
> This what I have:
> xscreensaver-gl-extras-gss-5.10-1.fc11.x86_64
> xscreensaver-base-5.10-1.fc11.x86_64
> xscreensaver-gl-extras-5.10-1.fc11.x86_64
> xscreensaver-5.10-1.fc11.x86_64
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
	This is the one I use. The ones above it give you more choices.

> f-spot-screensaver-0.6.1.2-3.fc11.x86_64
> gnome-screensaver-2.26.1-3.fc11.x86_64
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	This is the one I don't -- purely as a personal preference.

> xscreensaver-extras-5.10-1.fc11.x86_64
> xscreensaver-extras-gss-5.10-1.fc11.x86_64
> fedora-screensaver-theme-1.0.0-4.fc11.noarch
> fedorainfinity-screensaver-theme-1.0.0-2.fc11.noarch
> xscreensaver-gl-base-5.10-1.fc11.x86_64
> kdeartwork-screensavers-4.3.2-1.fc11.x86_64
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

	I do use K3B and Konqueror -- so I certainly have some of KDE,
but take care to have as little as possible to do with any of the rest of
it, again as a personal preference.

> So, what should I remove ?
> I just want to to have gnome shift to lock-screen saver after a while or
> be able to active the mode screensaver manually.

	I don't know about activating it manually -- I believe there's a
way, but I haven't used it. Someone else will have to answer that part.

	I just did "yum remove gnome-screensaver" -- which took with it
some of the other things above. I don't expect to miss them; in fact, I
was surprised I hadn't done it before on this machine.

	If you do the same, you may also wish to go to Main Menu > System
> Preferences; highlight and right click on Screensaver; tell it to put
it on your panel. That will make further tweaks more convenient.

	To check, right-click the icon, and choose Properties. The
command box should now say "xscreensaver-demo"

	Close the Properties box, and left-click the icon. It should open
a Preferences box, with the Display Modes tab displayed.

	In the bottom left corner is a check-box saying "Lock Screen
After." Checking it will let you enter a number of minutes -- and it will
require your user password to get back to the display every time. That is
what I think you want.

	If you don't want to require the password, make sure the check-
box is empty. Then the screensaver should stop and revert to your desktop
whenever you touch the mouse or a key.

	There are lots more choices and controls. From this point, you
should be safe to play with them till you find a preference -- or just
leave them as they are.

	Enjoy!