Saving Flash

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 17 05:57:50 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 15:05 -0500, Marcel Rieux wrote:
> I had a stream at PBS stutter then stop dead in its tracks 10 minutes
> before the end. Sometimes, somewhere else, just changing the screen
> size killed the video.

Yes, I've had ones stall and never recover.  It might be because the
site has a timeout, that has timed out during the stall.  But it could
be just plain broken.

> OTOH, I find The Warning, Inside the Meltdown and Breaking the Bank to
> be top of the top class documentaries and I'd like to contribute a few
> dollars. But I really don't believe in giving away my credit card
> number on the net. I only use my credit card to pay my ISP. I'm old
> fashion, I suppose.
>
> Do you people use your credit card on the net?

Yes, but with caution.  There are some services that I'd be fairly
confident in using, but I'd be extremely hesitant about giving credit
card details to just any site.

I'd look for a third party to go in the middle.  e.g. Put money into
PayPal (if you trust them, and they can accept PayPal), then use PayPal
to pay the other site.

Or do a direct bank transfer, where all the other person gets is money
sent to them under your control.  They've no way to raid more off you.

Some credit card companies offer one-time features, where you have a
single use credit feature, a bit like gift cards in shops.  You put
money into the single-use credit, the right amount, then use that with
the purchase.

Best advice:  Don't ask *us* about this, contact your bank, or credit
card supplier, and see what they advise and can offer you.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.