Anybody knows how to compile and install Ubuntu/Debian source packages on and for Fedora 11 x86_64?

Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) space.time.universe at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 15:54:23 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 10:33 PM, Todd Zullinger <tmz at pobox.com> wrote:
> Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
>> The source package that I am interested in building and installing
>> for F11 is here:
>>
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/karmic/ufsutils
>>
>> After extracting the tarball, I could not find any configure script.
>
> This doesn't have much to do with Debian/Ubuntu really, as they are
> just packaging code they got from FreeBSD.  Poking the package source,
> they use a shell script to pull the sources from the FreeBSD CVS tree:
>
> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/glibc-bsd/trunk/ufsutils/debian/upstream.sh
>
> There is not a configure script (as many projects don't use one).  At
> a glance, it looks like all you need to do is call make.  See the
> Debian rules file, which covers the steps taken in the process of
> building the Debian packages:
>
> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/glibc-bsd/trunk/ufsutils/debian/rules
>
> I suspect you'll be able to find your way through that even if you're
> not familiar with Debian packaging.
>
> --
> Todd        OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xBEAF0CE3 | URL: www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. It looks like Debian/Ubuntu is really
getting libufs2/ufsutils source packages from FreeBSD.

I wouldn't be able to build and install libufs2 sources from FreeBSD
on my F11 Linux machine.

I've actually found a port of libufs2 to linux and successfully built
and installed it on my F11. It's called ufs-linux.

The link is here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ufs-linux/

The code looks very old though. The latest release was released 5
years ago and it's of alpha quality.

But it's a required dependency for partclone if I want to clone UFS2
filesystems on Linux.

--
Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) Dip(Mechatronics) BEng(Hons)(Mechanical
Engineering)
Email: space.time.universe at gmail.com
Mobile Phone (Starhub Prepaid): +65-8369-2618
Street: Bedok Reservoir Road
Country: Singapore