f12 preupgrade?

Jamie Wellnitz jwellnitz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 19:43:55 UTC 2009

I ran into the out-of-space on /boot during the upgrade (that is,
rebooting after preupgrade finished).

I removed all but one f11 kernel and tried again - it still failed,
saying it needed "0MB" (rounding error, I assume).  I moved
System-map-{kernel-version}, config-{kernel-version} and the efi
directory onto / to free more /boot space and tried again.  That seems
to have worked - at least it got to the package installation step
which is still running.

On those 2 retries, I rebooted the system and selected the Fedora 12
upgrade option from the grub menu.  Anaconda doesn't seem to recover
well from this out-of-space error.

The upgrade path puts about 144MiB into /boot/upgrage, which leaves
not quite enough space for the new kernel to install.  (/boot on this
system is a separate ext2 partition 200MiB in size.)

Thanks,
Jamie