Nautilus: How to add/remove filesystems from appearing in "Removable Media" and Desktop?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Tue Nov 17 22:08:50 UTC 2009

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:19:19 -0800
Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

> I would like to prevent certain filesystems from automatically
> appearing in the "Removable Media" panes and from appearing
> on the user's desktop as icons.

Don't know about per-user, but this changes a lot in Fedora 12.

Prior to fedora 12, things were managed by hal, and obscure
files like /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-stop-hal-stop.fdi containing
this stuff worked to hide my backup disk:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="volume.label" string="BACKUP">
       <merge key="volume.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

with fedora 12, everything moved to udev and DeviceKit
and the different obscure file
/etc/udev/rules.d/99-zzz-local.rules has this:

# tell annoying tools on system there is a friggin reason I didn't mount
# these things and they shouldn't go mounting them either.
#
ENV{ID_FS_LABEL}=="BACKUP", ENV{DKD_PRESENTATION_HIDE}="1"

Obviously repeat lines for as many different labels as desired.

This seems to have the effect of completely hiding the
partitions with those labels. Nautilus doesn't automount
them and put annoying icons on desktop and the GTK file
browser doesn't show them as choices to browse.