VPN server in Fedora

Mark Ryden markryde at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 19:07:09 UTC 2009

Hello,

- I found out that there are two common ways to run a VPN server
on Linux. One way is using ipsec, with projects like openswan/strongswan.
The other is running pptpd server; this implements a Virtual Private
Networking Server (VPN) that iscompatible with Microsoft VPN clients,
and allows windows users to
connect to an internal firewalled network using their dialup.
See http://poptop.sourceforge.net/.

When looking for rpms for Fedora 11 or Fedora 10, I found out that
there is no pptpd
("yum install pptpd" results in
No package pptpd available.
Nothing to do).
There is however, openswan rpm for fedora 10 or 11.

My question is: what is the reason that there is no pptp rpm packages for
newer Fedora distros ? is some other solution replaces it ? is there a better
Linux VPN server solution which enables Microsoft VPN clients to connect to
a Linux VPN server ?

Regards,
Mark