wireless problems under F11

Paolo Galtieri pgaltieri at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 17:01:23 UTC 2009

I have a laptop running F11 and I have been having strange problems with
wireless.

At home I have a wireless network setup using WPA authentication and I can
connect to it without problems.  Yesterday I was at the airport which has a
free public access wireless.  I turned off wpa_supplicant, configured the
wireless network for auto everything except the ssid which was set to the
airport's wireless ssid. I started the network and ran iwlist wlan0 scan to
see what networks where available.  About a dozen showed up, only a few of
which where the airport's wireless. Despite seeing available wireless
networks I never succeeded in connecting to any.  I tried specifying the
channel number, nothing.   I booted up my laptop on Windows XP and it
connected immediately.

I arrived at my parents' house last night and tried to connect to their
wireless network.  I had the exact same problem.  In my parents' case iwlist
wlan0 scan showed only 1 network, theirs.  I have been able to connect to my
parents' wireless fine previously. I booted up on Windows XP and I connected
immediately.  This email is being sent from XP so I don't have access to the
logs, but what I saw from running wireshark and tailing the messages file
was that my laptop was sending out DHCP request and discover messages, but I
never saw any replies.

Since I can connect with XP the problem is not the hardware, does any one
have any ideas as to what to try?  Any thoughts are appreciated.

Is wireless support improved in F12 and would this be an option?

Thanks,
Paolo