F12: ssh change port number

Greg Maruszeczka greg at websage.ca
Sun Nov 22 18:37:48 UTC 2009

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 18:15:44 +0000
Soo-Hyun Choi <s.choi at hackers.org.uk> wrote:

> > I have F12 i686, i found this in sshd_config at line 13 (just
> > un-comment and change port number)
> >
> > #Port 22
>
> Yes, what I am saying is it didn't work what it supposed to do by
> simply changing this value. That is if I change this value to an
> arbitrary high number (e.g., 10100), the ssh connection is not being
> made. (Yes, I did restart sshd by doing "sudo /etc/init.d/sshd
> restart" before trying logging in with the changed port number.
>
> [foo at foo ~] $ ssh -p 10100 mymachine
> ssh: connect to host mymachine port 10100: No route to host
>
> Any idea?

Ah, you didn't mention that your problem was *connecting* to the port;
your original question implied the problem was with *listening* on a
given port -- big difference.

`netstat -untap` will show you which port ssh is actually listening on.
Then, taking Athmane's advice on temporarily disabling your firewall
should help eliminate the possibilities...

HTH,

GM