No Flash/sound in F12 Firefox

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Nov 23 22:54:06 UTC 2009

Frank Cox writes:

> On Mon, 2009-11-23 at 07:01 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> A contributing factor may be privoxy, which I use. By itself, privoxy
>> is
>> benign, of course, and has no effect,aside from cleaning up all the
>> clutter.
>> One possibility, that occured to me, is the loaded flash code quietly
>> calling back to the mothership, which privoxy blocks; and with no
>> checking
>> of the error path, flash is crashing.
>
> I use privoxy too and, as I posted earlier, that page works for me.

Well, then, I don't know. Putting libflashplayer.so back in, I don't have to
work very hard to make flash bomb out. Even after letting abrt download
about a hundred debuginfos and install them, it does not produce a very
useful backtrace:

Thread 1 (Thread 19484):
#0  0x0000003669e0ee6b in raise (sig=<value optimized out>)
    at ../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/pt-raise.c:42
        resultvar = 0
        pid = <value optimized out>
#1  0x000000367aa7752a in nsProfileLock::FatalSignalHandler (signo=4)
    at nsProfileLock.cpp:212
        unblock_sigs = {__val = {8, 0 <repeats 15 times>}}
        oldact = <value optimized out>
#2  <signal handler called>
No symbol table info available.
#3  0x00007f6626293683 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#4  0x00007f662b2225d8 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.

…

80 0x00007f662b0eda40 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#81 0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
Current language:  auto
The current source language is "auto; currently c".

The only clue is that Firefox here dies with SIGILL:

Program terminated with signal 4, Illegal instruction.
#0  0x0000003669e0ee6b in raise (sig=<value optimized out>)
    at ../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/pt-raise.c:42
42				 sig);

As I understand it, flash gets compiled to native code. This is a relatively
old Opteron:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 5
model name      : AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 240
stepping        : 1

I suspect that some bits of flash code get compiled into x86_64 instructions
that are not implemented on my older CPU. So, although I can watch video on
youboob, apparently most other flash sites get compiled into x86_64 code
that won't work on my older CPU.

Oh well.