NetworkManager calls new network card eth2, not eth1

Nick Urbanik nicku at nicku.org
Wed Nov 25 09:14:53 UTC 2009

Dear Gabriel, Tom and Dennis,

Thank you very much for your helpful replies.

On 24/11/09 22:47 +0200, Gabriel VLASIU wrote:
>On Wed, 25 Nov 2009, Nick Urbanik wrote:
>
>> After replacing the second network card with a new one, NetworkManager
>> refuses to listen to the startup scripts (shown below).  It always
>> calls the new interface eth2, not eth1.
>>
>> 1. Where does NetworkManager hold its definitions of network
>>    interfaces?
>Edit:
>/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
>
>Delete line ending with NAME="eth1"
>Rename line ending with NAME="eth2" to NAME="eth1"
>Reboot.

Thank you very much.  My own problem is solved, but my understanding
is incomplete.

Now I need to find the documentation for this and read it.  There is
not a huge amount of detail here:
file:///usr/share/doc/udev-145/writing_udev_rules/index.html#example-netif

Why does this override the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth*?
And since it does, the jurisdiction of the ifcfg-eth* scripts seems
encroached.

It seems confusing to me.

I need to understand how this gets written.  I suppose I need to read
the startup scripts and try to understand the division of labour
between NetworkManager, udev and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/*.

I wish there was documentation that shows how these all coexist and
cohere together.  Does such documentation exist?
Nick Urbanik             http://nicku.org           nicku at nicku.org