Prius Gas Mileage

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Nov 27 00:52:58 UTC 2009

Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
>> The gas mileage on my Prius has slowly declined from about 40 mpg when I
>> bought it in 2005 (2d hand, it's a 2004 model year) to about 35 mpg
>> today.  Has anyone else noticed this?
>>
>> Any ideas why?  It could, of course, be just that I'm paying less
>> attention to driving for good gas mileage, or have let the pressure in
>> the tires go down, but I don't think so.
>>
>> Thanks - jon
>
> Hello Everyone
> I hope this doesn't seem off topic...  But my wife told me about this:
> http://www.thestar.com/wheels/article/730933--toyota-launches-massive-u-s-recall
>
> Well, the recall does relate to the proper/improper functioning of the gas
> pedal...

Probably the cause of the poor mileage, is your accelerator stuck at full
throttle? This will burn extra gas.

Related: I have had throttle return springs break, similar result. Does not
prevent turning off engine (one click only, don't lock the steering), or using
neutral. That is a serious suggestion, follow the Douglas Adams "Don't panic"
rule. Repairs are cheaper than funerals.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>