problem with sch_teql and tc

Glen Ogilvie nelg at linuxsolutions.co.nz
Fri Nov 27 22:17:45 UTC 2009

Hi,

I am having some interesting problems getting teql to work, on both Fedora
12 64 bit, and Mandriva 2010.0, yet it works ok for me on RHEL4 and Centos
5.3, 32 bit.

What I am seeing happening is that the interface appears to come up, can ping
it's local address, but not the IP address of the other machine, and it does
not even send an arp request. Yet arping does work for the other machine's IP
if I run arping by hand.  So, I am thinking maybe something in TC or the
kernel is the problem.

Has anyone here tested teql interfaces with Fedora 12 64 bit?

I would appreciate any suggestions, as have been trying to figure this out
for some time without much progress.

Regards
Glen Ogilvie

PS: If someone else would like to try teql, it would be, My tests are:

Machine 1:
service iptables stop
modprobe sch_teql
ifconfig eth0 up 192.168.20.1
ifconfig eth1 up 192.168.30.1
ifconfig teql0
tc qdisc add dev eth0 root teql0
tc qdisc add dev eth1 root teql0
ip link set dev teql0 up
ifconfig eth0 txqueuelen 1000
ifconfig eth1 txqueuelen 1000
ifconfig teql0 txqueuelen 1000
ip addr add dev teql0 192.168.50.1/24

echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/rp_filter
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth1/rp_filter

Machine 2:
service iptables stop
modprobe sch_teql
ifconfig eth0 up 192.168.20.2
ifconfig eth1 up 192.168.30.2
ifconfig teql0
tc qdisc add dev eth0 root teql0
tc qdisc add dev eth1 root teql0
ip link set dev teql0 up
ifconfig eth0 txqueuelen 1000
ifconfig eth1 txqueuelen 1000
ifconfig teql0 txqueuelen 1000
ip addr add dev teql0 192.168.50.2/24

echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/rp_filter
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth1/rp_filter

Then try and ping between the machines using the 192.168.50.x addresses.