What'd I do wrong?

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Sun Nov 29 07:32:13 UTC 2009

On 11/28/2009 02:56 PM, John Aldrich wrote:
> I installed  a new SATA drive in my linux box that had previously (except
> for my dvd-rw) been all PATA. I then tried to install F12 on it, and told
> it to put GRUB on the new drive.
>
> After I finished installing, I rebooted and it tried to boot F11 again. I
> rebooted, went into BIOS and changed the order of the drives to put the
> SATA drive in as the primary drive, and let it boot. It just hung. So
> obviously something isn't right.
>
> I went back into BIOS and changed the order of the drives back and now I'm
> back in F11. How do I get this fixed, w/o disconnecting the PATA drives? Do
> I need to change the order of the drives in BIOS and reinstall???
>
> I've never tried to put a fresh drive in and boot off it, so I could use a
> bit of help here. :-)
>
> Thanks!

Dunno!
I put a spare pata drive in, installed Fedora 12 on it and now use the
bios to change boot order, no problems.
Check the /boot/grub/menu.lst in the Fedora 12 on the second drive and
see if it actually points to the new drive and not the Fedora 11 drive.
I haven't succeeded in getting Fedora 12 boot to boot Fedora 11 on a
Sata Drive... yet.
Roger