changing GDM background image on F12

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sun Nov 29 17:31:10 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 11:40:36AM -0500, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> > You can also set it as a user's background via the normal
> > preferences setting and then make that the system default (via the
> > bottom "Make Default" button).
>
> Oh nice.  I had looked right past that, even after reading Bill's
> message. :/
>
> That works fine here as well.  Whatever issue Fred's running into, I
> don't think it's anything that is generally or completely broken.  but
> it seems like he's gone the easy route and overwritten the default
> image, so we may not find the real cause.

Actually, what I did was save the original constantine.xml and edit
it to point to the actual image I wanted instead of the default one,
then saved myself a spare copy of the modified file in case some
future update clobbers it.

I, too, would like to know why the normal methods didn't work, but
eventually frustration took hold.