Default keyring for NetworkManager

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 18:53:48 UTC 2009

On Sunday 29 November 2009 17:50:49 Frank Elsner wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 23:32:28 -0500 Ryan Lynch wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 07:20, Frank Elsner wrote:
> > > First of all: Do not use Network Manager.
> >
> > I don't get it--why should he not use NetworkManager?
>
> Because on Fri, 27 Nov 2009 13:26:39 +0000 Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>   [ ... ]
> > I simply want to connect to my wireless automatically upon boot and not
> > being asked for any passwords. [ ... ]
>
> This cant be done with Network Manager.

Wait, wait... You should have quoted the whole paragraph:

> I simply want to connect to my wireless automatically upon boot and not
> being asked for any passwords. I have also enabled autologin in kdm in order
> to get logged in automatically (this works beautifully, btw).

So, given that I have autologin set up, it *can* be done. I push the power
button on my laptop, wait until the system settles down, and I am logged in,
connected to wireless, ktorrent and openvpn are already working, and all is
well. The problem was just to move that "default keyring" thing out of the
way. This was solved by making it accept an empty password.

I didn't have any issue with NetworkManager itself. It was all about the
interaction between the keyring and nm-applet.

Ok, I admit that I was speaking rather loosely about "upon boot", meaning
actually "upon boot and autologin", so that's probably the source of
confusion. :-)

In general, NetworkManager has become mature enough and works very well in
typical laptop usecases, like mine. If you have a server with wired connection
and all, I agree that the network service is much better than NM. Two different
tools for two different jobs. :-)

Best, :-)
Marko