f12 updates kernel nomodeset option breaks radeon

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Mon Nov 30 00:27:59 UTC 2009

After updates today my radeon driver does not start properly if the
kernel nomodeset option is used.

The X log has a message :

"Couldn't find valid PLL dividers"

Good news though in other areas :

--I can shell into the machine with ssh, it's not a hard crash.

--If I set up the kernel with "rhgb quiet" and do not use the
"nomodeset" option X starts up normally.

--I no longer need an xorg.conf with "XAA" accel enabled to prevent X
crashes. EXA seems to be working reliably now. (I previously reported
that www.newegg.com and wiki.centos.org were crashing X with EXA enabled.)

EXA seems stable with kernel modesetting though...great!

Smolt :

http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_2eb94c68-e819-4003-aa96-47783092c4ab

---
John