Emacs fonts in F12

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Mon Nov 30 00:59:46 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-29 at 18:35 -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
> Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>
> > In F11, selecting the same font in Emacs as the system monospace
> font
> > (in my case, Monospace Regular 7-point) resulted in an Emacs window
> with
> > a typeface that looked the same as the one in a gnome-terminal.  In
> F21,
> > the same font looks (a) much smaller and (b) more widely spaced than
> the
> > gnome-terminal font (which looks the same as it did in F11).
> >
> > Any idea what changed in Emacs and how I can get the font I want?
> >
> > TIA.
> >
> emacs-23 happened.  Fonts are MUCH better.  Emacs can now use non-
> bitmapped fonts.

Ah, you remind me that I had loaded emacs-23 in F11 from updates-testing
(for just this reason).  That's why I was able to use the gnome-terminal
fonts in the first place.

> Here are some suggestions:
> 1.
> (cond
>  ((display-graphic-p)
>   (set-face-attribute 'default                nil :font "DejaVu Sans
> Mono-9" :slant 'normal :weight 'normal)))

In my .emacs file, I have

        (custom-set-faces
          ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
        '(default ((t (:inherit nil :stipple nil :background
        "lightgrey" :foreground "black" :inverse-video nil :box
        nil :strike-through nil :overline nil :underline nil :slant
        normal :weight normal :height 83 :width normal :foundry
        "unknown" :family "DejaVu Sans Mono")))))

I did add the :background setting by hand, but the rest is what was
saved by Emacs.  Does the fact that you have "DejaVu Sans Mono-9" and I
have "DejaVu Sans Mono" make a difference?  If so, how did you get that
string?

> 2. If you'd like to adjust font size using Ctrl-mouse wheel (like many
> other apps):
>
>  (require 'zoom-frm)
> (global-set-key (kbd "<C-mouse-5>") 'zoom-in)
> (global-set-key (kbd "<C-mouse-4>") 'zoom-out)
>
> For this you'll need:
> zoom-frm.el
> frame-fns.el
> frame-cmds.el
> You can find them all here: (e.g.)
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/zoom-frm.el

This might be cool, but it could also be a major pain.  I'll have to
give it a try at some point.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences