problem with nvida settings

Gerhard Magnus magnus at agora.rdrop.com
Thu Oct 1 16:48:22 UTC 2009

On 10/01/2009 11:59 AM, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> > How can I get the resolution setting for my nvidia card to stick?
> > Whenever I log on the resolution reverts to 1280 x 1024. I can reset
> > this to 1680 X 1050 using the nvidia-settings widget and I click the
> > "Save to X Configuration File" button but this setting only lasts
> > through my current session.
> >
> Put this section in your xorg.conf , just after the "Device" Section.
> Change the "1024x768" to your desired settings.
> I use Nvidia also and the Nvidia Setting are not going to help.

> Section "Screen"
>      Identifier "Screen0"
>      Device     "Videocard0"
>      Monitor    "Monitor0"
>      DefaultDepth     24
>      SubSection "Display"
>          Viewport   0 0
>          Depth     24
>          Modes    "1024x768"
>      EndSubSection
> EndSection

Here's my original xorg.conf:

# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings:  version 1.0  (buildmeister at builder63)  Fri Aug 14
17:55:55 PDT 2009

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister at builder63)  Fri Aug 14
17:54:58 PDT 2009
# Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Default Layout"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    ModulePath      "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option         "AIGLX" "on"
    Option         "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from data in "/etc/sysconfig/keyboard"
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "keyboard"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "us"
    Option         "XkbModel" "pc105"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "ViewSonic VG2030wm"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 82.0
    VertRefresh     50.0 - 75.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Videocard0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce 6200"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Default Screen"
    Device         "Videocard0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Modes      "nvidia-auto-select"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "TwinView" "0"
    Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
    Option         "metamodes" "1680x1050 +0+0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

I cut both "Screen" sections and replaced them with what you suggested
but it still didn't work. The file seems to be doubled up on "Device"
and "Screen" sections -- it isn't clear to me if I need both or, if not,
what I can delete.