Viewing answers to one's nntp posts in Thunderbird

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Oct 6 00:14:54 UTC 2009

gilpel at altern.org wrote:
>> On Mon, 2009-10-05 at 13:25 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>>
>>> However, what is wrong with choosing "Click to display message
>>> threads".  If you are the OP then any response to your message
>>> will appear under it.
>>>
>> And you could set a rule to highlight your own messages, making them
>> stand out in the list.

First....the above illustrates again the issue with how your replies are
"broken".  I did not say "And you could set...".  You are replying to a
message from "Tim" who replied to message from "Me".  So, "Tim" should
have been attributed with the "And you could set...".
> This looks like a partial solution. In Thunderbird:
>
> Tools => Message Filter
>
> Create a filter on your name and tag it the color you want, say important
> = red
>
> Run filters on Folder in the Tools menu doesn't work. So, make a search on
> your name in every folder and mark as Important. New incoming messages
> will be marked Important automatically.

> Whenever you want to see answers to your posts, go to View => Watched
> threads with unread. Then, scroll down the hundreds of messages to find
> yours and take a close look to see if you don't have some unread answers.
>
> After you're finished, go to View => Threads => All.
>
> //////////////////
>
> Better than nothing, but rather painful. I doubt it will ever be a popular
> method for reading the news.

I haven't been able to fully grasp what problem you are having or trying
to define and solve.....

However, it seems to me that the "problem" is...there may be a thread
started by one person (not you) and you reply to one post within that
thread and wish only to see messages related to your post within the
thread.  If that is it, then no there is no concept of "sub-treading".

Frankly, there is simple solution to the "problem".  Since you seem
uninterested in the general thread and what others may or may not have
said within the thread as it doesn't relate to your comments...then
start your own thread.  Yes, you will have some people that respond to
your thread and take things on a tangent that you are not interested in
and you won't be able to exclude them from your view, but that is
unavoidable.