grub.conf options

Chris Rouch chris.rouch at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 10:38:32 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 12:09 AM, Jonathan Ryshpan <jonrysh at pacbell.net> wrote:
> Where are they documented?
> In particular:
>      * What does the quiet option do?
>      * How can I get the system to display messages during shutdown?
>        rhgb suppresses messages during bootup.  Is there a similar
>        option for shutdown?  If so what is it?
>      * In my grub.conf, timeout=5.  Nevertheless the grub starts the
>        boot process after 3 seconds.  What am I missing?
>
> Thanks - jon

the quiet option suppresses most of the initial output before rhgb
kicks in. unless you're having hardware problems you probably want it.

i think the shutdown messages are still shown, but on a different
virtual terminal. so <ctrl><alt>,<Fn> can be used to display them. n
is probably 1, but i'm not certain of that.

try increasing the timeout and see if it's still 3 seconds. if it is,
you may have 2 timeout lines, or extra control characters.

Regards,

Chris