Printing considered hard?

Christoph Höger choeger at cs.tu-berlin.de
Thu Oct 8 15:45:22 UTC 2009

Am Donnerstag, den 08.10.2009, 16:15 +0100 schrieb Tim Waugh:
> On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 17:04 +0200, Christoph Höger wrote:
> > > How about telling us a little about your network so we don't have to
> > > guess?
> >
> > Well, there is really not much to say. It is a 1.3.10 cups server
> > running some printers. Pretty standard setup, I'd guess.
>
> So the server is.. Fedora 10?  Or something different?  It's configured
> to require encryption or something?  Is it sharing printers using CUPS
> browsing (i.e. 'Share printers connected to this system')?

I have no idea how that server is configured, since I am not the admin.
All I know is that no encryption should be required and the mentioned
settings work fine. I can query the http site of the server and see
every printer. I doubt that it broadcasts its printers though. Going to
ask the admin.

> Is that server on the same subnet as your client?  If not, perhaps some
> router is blocking out the CUPS broadcast packets or something.

Maybe. This is indeed not the same subnet.

> Are there other machines around on the same network as you that are able
> to print?  What are they running, etc?

Since this is some kind of "guest" network I do not know of any other
machines.

> Don't change /etc/cups/client.conf -- if you've changed it, change it
> back.
>
> The change you will be expected to make on the client is to allow CUPS
> broadcast packets from the server.  To do that:
>
> 1. System->Administration->Firewall
> 2. Make sure 'Network Printing Client (IPP)' is enabled
> 3. Click 'Apply'

FW was deactivated ;)

> (No, you shouldn't need to do any of that in an ideal world..)
>
> > On the fedora side all server packages are somewhat broken it seems.
>
> Slightly confused now -- you're running Fedora 11 as a client, yes?  Or
> a server?

I have a fedora 11 client here at work and it won't play nicely with the
cups server here.

And I guess I know why:
connect(18, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(631),
sin_addr=inet_addr("10.146.2.17")}, 16) = -1 EHOSTUNREACH (No route to
host)

This happens after alot of conversation. I am going to ask the admin
what this machine is and what it is good for (simple guess: It's the
printer and I am not allowed talking to it directly).

The question is: why do I need to connect to a printer (or any other
machine) when I only want to talk to a cups server??