Position about Mono

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 04:15:30 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 1:00 AM, Bob McConnell <rmcconne at lightlink.com> wrote:

> Is there any way to absolutely prevent Mono from being installed, like the
> mononono.deb available for other distributions? As long as the threat of
> software patents exists, I don't want that infection anywhere near my
> computers.
>
> Bob McConnell
> N2SPP

My reasons for loathing Mono are simpler: it´s Microsoft´s platform.
Mono can play catch-up but it will allways be running behind
Microsoft´s .Net. So by using Mono I´d be contributing to the spread
of a platform that directly benefits Microsoft´s software ecosystem.

I don´t want to help a convicted monopolist. The attitude and ego of
Id. de Icaza doesn´t help it win many friends either.

,Net -and by extension, Mono- were born just to "kill Java". Well,
Java is Free Software (GPL) now, so there´s little reason to use
anything else.

Sadly, Mono is a nice programming language, but ."Not" sucks as a
platform, for the reasons explained above.

In a perfect world... the language of choice shouldn´t matter, and
there should be a Oracle-Sun sponsored code converter or compiler that
takes .Net source code and compiles Java bytecode...

Sun had something like that with Project Semplice but canned it...
"Java is the best programming language in the Universe" zealots seem
to have won.

Just my $0.02
FC