clone a bootable fedora USB drive?

Fer! fer507 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 02:32:35 UTC 2009

I dont know if you resolved your issue. Im writing this because I spent
several hours searching on google about this without luck.

After studying the structure of the overlay file I found how it works. Im
currently working in a project that requires to install so many things on
the live usb, and it was a pain in the neck to install one by one. What you
need to do is the following, very basic steps and very easy to do. No
complicated dd commands or iso creation.

Do the following(UNDER WINDOWS):

 1. once you have the final usb installation, you need to get the System
Volume ID. to do that simply plug the usb and goto system command (start ->
run -> cmd.exe)

 2. type vol DRIVELETTER: (for example if your drive is F: do vol f:)
     once you do that you will get something like:

    Serial Volume is: 0AD7-0FF0

 3. Write down that number. Now, you need to download an application called
VolumeID from microsoft. you can get it on
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897436.aspx. download it
and unzip it.

  4. take the new usb and format it. once formatted open a cmd.exe window
and run the command volumeid(from your previous unzip).

   volumeid DRIVELETTER: SERIALVOLUME
i.e. volumeid f: 0AD7-0FF0

 5. once you do that you are "cloning" the serial volume from your original
usb into the new one. Overlay files depends on this.

 6. now open the liveusbcreator and create a live usb as you normal do. Once
its finish just overwrite the overlay file (located in LiveOS folder). Make
sure to label your usb as same as the original one. Once you overwrite the
overlay file the usb is cloned.

I did this and works. Any further questions send me an email to fer507 at
gmail dot com