NFSv4 setup?

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 07:51:11 UTC 2009

Mike Cloaked wrote:

> a) there are indeed a number of references around, but some refer to using
> portmap (like in your first ref), but I understand that this is deprecated
> in favour of rpcbind - and I believe that this is running by default in
> recent versions of Fedora.
> b) it is not clear whether there are any selinux gotchas so I was hoping
> that someone would respond saying that they had set up nfs server and
> client and that either it worked great, or that there were issues - and
> then say what the workarounds are, or refer to a link explaining how to
> deal with it.
> c) I was hoping to see a single article that included automounting nfs
> shares rather than permanently mounting them via fstab since for my use
> case I did not need to tie up resources except for short times when the
> nfs share was needed.
> d) I was also hoping to see cases where nfs3 had been used and the
> sysadmin moved over to nfs4 - and then find what the problems, if any,
> where using version 4 rather than 3. Hopefully easier since a single port
> must be opened up in the firewall rather than multiple ports for nfs v3
>
> I was also hoping to gauge whether there were many people who read this
> list who are nfs4 rather than 3 users - or whether the predominant use is
> still nfs3

Excuse the odd typo in the previous post - actually the linuxhomenetworking
link that google finds at
http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch29_:_Remote_Disk_Access_with_NFS

is quite a good guide but does not mention selinux... perhaps selinux works
so transparently now that it does not need mentioning!