NFSv4 setup?

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 13:03:47 UTC 2009

Jonathan Dieter-2 wrote:

> FWIW, I've switched our school system over to nfs4 from nfs3 when I
> deployed the Fedora 11 image.  There were two reasons:
>
> * nfs3 file locking seriously sucks.  When someone opened OpenOffice,
> had a  crash, and then attempted to open OpenOffice again, it would
> segfault, no matter which computer was used.  The only solution was to
> rm ~/.openoffice.org.  Some problem with firefox.
> * There was nothing stopping random computers on the network from
> connecting to the server.  With nfs4 being restricted to one port, I've
> been able to turn on ipsec authentication for that port only.
>
> There have been two problems with nfs4:
>
> * Usernames now have to be matched using rpcidmapd where before all I
> needed to do was make sure the UID's matched up (using LDAP).
> * There is now some funky POSIX->NFS->POSIX acl conversion going on,
> rather than the (admittedly hacked on) POSIX acls that were built-in to
> nfs3.  It just means I can't see the acls on the client using standard
> getfacl and setfacl tools.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Jonathan

Thank you Jonathan - that is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping to
get - and useful.  Of course setting up the basics of the exports etc is one
thing, but tying in authentication as well as using acls is not that obvious
(to me at any rate!) so a clear guide showing how to do it is still needed.