sound recording with Fedora 11

Kevin Kempter kevink at consistentstate.com
Fri Oct 23 22:34:19 UTC 2009

Hi all;

my son (the musician) has Fedora 11 installed on an HP HDX-16 laptop.

He wants to record some of his band sessions, we tried using 'sound recorder'
and plugging the output of his mixer into the mic input on the laptop.

It does record but the sound is fuzzy and to say it was poor quality would be
an over-estimate, since it's there but barely audible.

Can anyone give us some direction per sound recorders for linux in general and
specifically how to debug & correct this issue with the mic input?

Thanks in advance..