New scanner/printer combo

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Oct 24 04:02:07 UTC 2009

On Friday 23 October 2009, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>Gene Heskett writes:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> My truly ancient Epson C82 finally refused to respond to the head
>> cleaning paddles yesterday, so I went out and got a new Epson NX515 combo
>> scanner & printer.
>>
>> Problem 2 is that the scanner doesn't even check in as shown above.
>
>According to SANE's database, this scanner is not supported by SANE.
>
>http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl
>
>> OTOH, I also have an Epson 1250u that works flawlessly, but it would be
>> nice to get rid of one rather high occupancy item here in the coyote.den.
>
>It works because it is supported by SANE.
>
>http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl?manu=epson&model=1250&bus=any
>&v=&p=
>
>> The current xsane device dialog skips it, going directly to the Epson
>> 1250u, so xsane isn't seeing it, and while I have kooka according to the
>> menu's, it doesn't come when called.
>>
>> Has anyone a clue to pass along?
>
>Unfortunately, unless your scanner is supported by SANE, you're boned.
>
>Generally, before buying a scanner or a printer, it is imperative to verify
>that it's supported by SANE or CUPS.

The other 3 choices were Lexmark (over my dead body) HP but the ink colors
suck, cannon (no reason, just general principles) and all the 500 USD color
laser stuff.  If in fact there actually is scanner support from linux in any
of these MultiFunctionDevices, I would be rather pleasantly surprised.

Many Thanks for the reply even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

<Overfiend> xhost +localhost should only be done by people who would
            paint their hostname and root password on an interstate
            overpass.