evolution to MS exchange 2007 via MAPI

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Thu Oct 29 17:40:07 UTC 2009

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 12:10 +1100, L wrote:

>>> Can you try to convince the exchange folks to enable IMAP? Then you can use
>>> Thunderbird or Evolution through an IMAP account. It will function the same,
>>> minus contact and calendar syncing.
>>>
>>> It may even be on already. Try to telnet ip 143 and see if it connects.
>>>
>> well,  the port is not opened. sent email IT desk. No very hopeful to
>> to convince the exchange folks.
>
> Might be worth trying F12 Beta.  AFAIK, MAPI connector development is
> active (I'm sure hoping...), but GNOME folks don't seem very determined
> to backport updates.
>
> When I first tied it, I got persistent crashes, but there was an update
> that fixed that problem.  Now every time I access a folder, it does a
> complete sync with the host, which is pretty intolerable.  There's a
> patch for that, I believe, but nobody has pulled it back into 2.26.3.
>
> Living without calendar and contacts here is not a very attractive
> alternative.
>
> Some other ideas (all of which require sysadmin cooperation):
>       * Use the OWA connector (requires Exchange 2003 OWA
>         compatibility).
>       * Use the Brutus connector (requires a Brutus server running on
>         Windows to manage the actual transactions with Exchange).

As to getting IMAP opened on Exchange, I've never understood the
reluctance of IT people to permit this.  There's nothing insecure about
it (other than the inherent insecurity of all M$ products).

As to calendars and such...ical is a viable alternative.  Address books
over LDAP work fine, too.  It'd be nice if M$ would try adopting some
existing standards...nah!  Never happen.  Brings to mind an old joke:

	Q: How many M$ engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?
	A: None.  They redefine darkness to be the standard.

That joke would be funny--if it weren't so bloody true.
-           If it's stupid and it works...it ain't stupid!           -