two major failures after yesterday updates - RESOLVED

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 20:45:56 UTC 2009

Mike Cloaked wrote:

> For your first comment about the response of the system to a mistyped
> password in kdm I was not aware of - I'll ask if this it was a second
> login attempt when I talk to her later - and yes i do have kdm as the
> login manager. The status of the bz you referred to linked to an upstream
> bug which has not had any reply since the end of August!
>
> On the suggestions for trying to boot a livecd - I did try and after the
> POST, it gave "port 00:" at the top of the screen and a line of "stuff" -
> but did nothing further.  I now have a new replacement HD which I will
> install over the weekend and see if I can then boot a liveCD to configure
> it - I'll report back in due course.

This evening I removed the HD and installed the brand new hard drive. The
machine now readily booted to a PartedMagic LiveCD and I was able to
partition the drive to prepare for an f11 clean install which I have now
just completed.

So in this case it turned out to be a total failure of the hard drive - the
machine is less than 2 years old, so a drive failure at this age is
surprising, the more so considering it has always been on a UPS to protect
the mains supplying it. The new HD is a different make to the original, and
hopefully will last a little longer than the previous one! Anyway I am very
glad that this turned out to be unrelated to the operating system, although
I am still trying to get to the bottom of what happened to the other machine
- which was clearly a software issue.

Have a good weekend.